Five Years

Anniversary

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day 26: A Childhood Memory

Lets see...my childhood...

For those of you that don't know, I grew up in a little town called Indian Wells.  Usually, I just say Palm Desert or Palm Springs.  But my address was actually Indian Wells.  I have a lot of fond memories from my childhood, but I'll just share a few stories.

When David and I were younger (he's my closest in age sibling - 3 years older than me), we used to think we were SO sneaky.  After we'd be put in bed, we'd wait a little while, then sneak back out and 'spy' on our older siblings, mom, and dad.  This usually meant we'd go sit around the corner to where everyone was and just listen to their conversation until we got too tired or caught.  We'd also use compact mirrors to peer around the corners.  We were THAT legit!

I remember falling asleep to the radio a lot - KPLM 106.1 =).  Every week night, they'd take song requests.  I'd lay in bed thinking "How cool would it be to request a song?"  But I'd NEVER be able to come up with a song to request!  Instead, I'd wait for them to play a song I like, then call in and request it.  I remember hearing Shania Twain's song "Any Man of Mine", then calling in like 2 minutes later to request that song.  They laughed and said, "Uhh...we just played that.  Sorry!"  I don't think I ever did request a song that they then played.  I could never think of one on my own...pathetic!

Last story happened on 10/29/99.  I've always said I was 11 when this happened, but I just went to check the date...and I know for a fact that Halloween was on a Sunday that year so that'd make it 99, making me 10.  Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway...it was a Friday and David, Sandra, Casey Vassios (neighbor/friend) decided we wanted to carve some pumpkins.  We sat on the drive way, carved a little, then got bored and decided to ride bikes instead.  David was on his roller blades hitting a ball with a hockey puck, Casey on my bike, so I took David's bike (which was a little to big for me..).  We started riding around the cul-de-sac and David would hit the ball at our bike.  I didn't have a helmet on and loved to ride without hands.  I went to turn, turned too sharp, and David's bike's pedal hit the street and the bike flipped (so I'm told.)  The last think I remember is getting on the bike and riding down the driveway.

David ran inside the house to tell my mom I was 'bleeding'.  I guess she wasn't too happy because Sandra had just come in minutes prior from a scraped knee or something.  She came outside to find me on the ground in a puddle of blood.  Honestly, I don't know if I was awake or not, I don't remember any of this!  The only memory I have is of sitting in the car about to leave and my mom yelling at David to get her a rag.  Next memory I have is waking up half way to the hospital crying and saying, "why me?  why me?  why me?" over and over.  I ended up getting 2 or 3 stitches.  Then mom had to wake me up ever 2 hours that night and ask "What's your name?  How old are you?  Okay, you can go back to sleep" to make sure I didn't have a concussion.  The reason I know Halloween was on a Sunday that year is because I remember thinking, "Well, I wouldn't have gotten to go trick-or-treating anyway..."

There are a few stories from my childhood.  Sorry, the last one ended up being pretty long.  Kudos if you've made it this far!  Till tomorrow =)

No comments: